The best preserved among the three belvederes on Kupelwieser's Brijuni, which owing to their construction were even displayed at exhibitions. They were made around 1895 at the ironworks in Vitkovice, where Paul Kupelwieser had worked before coming to Brijuni.
Once a dominant tourist attraction, today it has been overgrown by trees. The second preserved belvedere stands on Saluga hill, above Brijuni''s central beach.
A unique example of engineer architecture.
Kupelwieser's resting place, 1917.
The mausoleum of the Kupelwieser family. Although it was conceived as the final resting place of the island's owner and his wife, only the mother and son are buried here.
Maria Kupelwieser (1850-1915) who faithfully followed her husband in realizing his dream of the Brijuni Islands, lies here next to her younger son Karl, who after his father's death (1919) tried to continue his work. Unfortunately, after a series of unsuccessful investments, due to the economic and then emotional crisis he shot himself.
Paul Kupelwieser died in Vienna and was also buried there. The only words on his tombstone below his name is the name of his beloved island.
By clearing the old quarries of stone that accumulated over the many years as a result of stone carvers' activities (ever since classical times), Alojz Čufar, forester and planner of all promenades on Brijuni, designed small hills. That is how promenades appeared which are pleasant and attractive all year round: protected from summer heat and sheltered from cold winter winds they became popular places for guests of the health resort.
In 1905 a memorial tablet was set up in honor of Dr. Robert Koch, the great scientist who exterminated malaria from the islands, with the following inscription: DEM GROSSEN FORSCHER / DEM BEFREIER DER INSEL / VON DER MALARIA / DR ROBERT KOCH annis 1900-1901 (The great scientist - who freed the island - from malaria - Dr. Robert Koch - 1900-1901). The marble relief is the work of Austrian sculptor J. Engelhart.
To express their gratitude for the major contribution regarding the development of Brijuni, in 1909 the Kupelwieser family set up a bronze tablet in honor of Alojz Čufar, diligent collaborator and longtime director of Brijuni. The tablet is the work of Secession artist J. Engelhart, bearing the following inscription:
DANKBARER ERINNERUNG AN GUTSDIREKTOR ALOIS ZUFFAR DEN TREVESTEN MITARBEITER AN DER ENTWICKLUNG BRIONIS AD 1894-1907 DIE FAMILIE KUPELWIESER (In grateful memory of the property director, loyal collaborator who contributed to the development of Brijuni 1894-1907 - the Kupelwieser family).